Tasmanian Convention Bureau Limited (trading as Business Events Tasmania) (we, us, our) complies with the Privacy Act 1988 (Cth) (the Act) when dealing with the collection, use, storage and disclosure of personal information.
Personal information is information where an individual’s identity is reasonably ascertainable.
This Policy sets out how we will collect, use, disclose and protect your personal information.
This Policy does not limit or exclude any of your rights under the Act.
Changes to this Policy
We may change this policy by uploading a revised policy onto the website. The change will apply from the date that we upload the revised policy.
Who do we collect your personal information from
We collect personal information about you from:
- you, when you provide that personal information to us, including via the website and any related service, through any registration or subscription process, through any contact with us (e.g. telephone call or email), or when you buy or use our services and products.
- third parties where you have authorised this or the information is publicly available.
If possible, we will collect personal information from you directly.
How we use your personal information
We will use your personal information:
- to provide services and products to you;
- to market our services to you, including contacting you electronically (e.g. by text or email for this purpose);
- To bill you and collect money where you are participating in our membership program;
- To respond to communications from you, including complaints;
- to conduct research and statistical analysis (on an anonymised basis);
- to protect and/or enforce our legal rights and interests, including defending any claim; and
- for any other purpose authorised by you or the Act.
Disclosing your personal information
We may disclose your personal information, only to the extent necessary for:
- any business that supports our services and products, including any person that hosts or maintains any underlying IT system or data centre that we use to provide the website or other services and products;
- other third parties (for anonymised statistical information);
- a person who can require us to supply your personal information (e.g. a regulatory authority);
- any other person authorised by the Act or another law (e.g. a law enforcement agency); and
- any other person authorised by you.
A business that supports our services and products may be located outside of Tasmania, or Australia. This may mean your personal information is held and processed outside Australia.
Protecting your personal information
We will take reasonable steps to keep your personal information safe from loss, unauthorised activity, or other misuse. Where your personal information is stored outside of Australia, we will ensure that the have the equivalent level of safeguards in place to protect your information.
Accessing and correcting your personal information
You have the right to access your readily retrievable personal information that we hold and to request a correction to your personal information. Before you exercise this right, we will need evidence to confirm that you are the individual to whom the personal information relates.
In respect of a request for correction, if we think the correction is reasonable and we are reasonably able to change the personal information, we will make the correction. If we do not make the correction, we will take reasonable steps to note on the personal information that you requested the correction.
If you want to exercise either of the above rights, email us at firstname.lastname@example.org. Your email should provide evidence of who you are and set out the details of your request (e.g. the personal information, or the correction, that you are requesting).
We may charge you our reasonable costs of providing to you copies of your personal information or correcting that information.
While we take reasonable steps to maintain secure internet connections, if you provide us with personal information over the internet, the provision of that information is at your own risk.
Log files and Cookies
This website utlises industry standard analytics packages which gathers limited information on visitors to our website automatically, and stores this anonymous information in server log files. This information may include IP addresses, browser type, basic IP information, referring pages, operating system used and date/time stamps. This information does not identify individual users; it is used only for site administrators, as well as for analysis of website usage and trends.
Additionally, cookies may be used to provide easier and faster access to website features such as logins and/or repeat visits. Cookies are very small text files that are stored on personal computers for reference purposes. We do not link the information we store in cookies to any personally identifiable information you have submitted while on our site.
We use both session ID cookies and persistent cookies. A session cookie expires when your browser is closed, and a persistent cookie may stay on your hard drive for an extended period. Session cookies make it easier for you to navigate our site; persistent cookies can perform such activities as storing your password for forums or blogs so you don’t have to sign in everytime you visit those areas, and/or may be used to enable us to track and target the interests of our users so as to enhance the overall experience of using out site.
We have no access to or administration abilities over any cookies that are used by any advertisers on our site.
We follow accepted industry standards to protect any personal information you have provided to us. However, please be aware that no method of electronic storage can ever be 100% secure. Therefore – as is the case with any organisation – we are not in a position to guarantee the absolute security of your information.
You may submit any questions you may have about our security procedures by emailing us.
We reserve the right to disclose your personally identifiable information as required by law and when we believe that disclosure is necessary to protect our rights and/or to comply with a judicial proceeding, court order or legal process served on our website.
Business Events Tasmania*
GPO Box 237
Hobart TAS 7001
T: +61 3 6231 1366
ABN: 33 009 589 584
*Business Events Tasmania is a business name of the Tasmanian Convention Bureau.